1 August 2015

Fathers Day 2015

So credit where credit is due, I wrote this post well in advance of the day in question. However, and I hate to keep using this excuse, technology failed me again! I have the blogger app on my tablet and it wasn't showing any of the pictures and then wouldn't publish, even without the pictures! It's taken me this long to get round to fixing everything and essentially all I've been able to do is open the draft, copy the text, email to myself, pick up on laptop, paste in from email and basically start again! Please - enjoy!

This year's father's day is on Sunday 21st July.
We didn't make to much fuss last year for reasons I can't remember so this year we've made an extra effort.
A few years ago I made some necktie bunting so that is our decor.
My husband, Andrew has really got into running this past year and has accumulated a impressive collection of medals.
After looking on Pinterest for ideas of how best to display them I hatched a plan. I asked Andrew to find a quote he liked and also a font.
He made lovely choices and I'm really happy that it will fit in with our home decor.
Here's a photo walk through of how I made the medal hanger.
So to start with I needed a decent piece of wood. I had a stash of old pallet wood but I couldn't be bothered to work out joining them together and get a uniform colour.  I found an off cut from the kitchen I made for Ethan's 2nd birthday (mental note to blog about that!). 

It was very new pine looking so back to Pinterest to find a method for ageing wood.  Thankfully it was a really easy process using just apple cider vinegar (i thought it was odd that this was in the beverage section and not the vinegar section in the supermarket) and wire wool (that I already had). 
Then to get the lettering of the quote onto the wood.
I printed the quote in the chosen font and lined up the first line where I wanted to start and traced the outline of the letters firmly with a ballpoint pen so that it made an indentation on the wood. 

When I got to the end of the first row I realised I hadn't completely thought it through and needed to continue the next row on the paper on the same line on the wood.  No fear, I used a spirit level ( any straight edge would work) and lined it up under the writing id already done and then moved the paper along to line up next to it so the print sat on the same line and so I continued. 

Then the same for the second row.
Once all the outline was complete I used a really fine paintbrush (000 I think) and some white acrylic paint with a small drop of water in a beer bottle cap. I didn't mix it, the water was mainly for the brush and I used the paint directly from the tube and slowly I used the outline to paint the lettering going back over as it dried to get it as white as possible. 



With the lettering done it was time to add the hooks. I knew I had enough room for two staggered rows so with my trusty quilting ruler I measured 1.5" markings across and then a 1" gap between the rows and did the same for the bottom row giving me a total of 20 hooks ( which was annoying when I only bought an estimated 18 from our little indie hardware store and had to go back the next day for the extra 2!)
I drilled pilot holes where I'd marked so it didn't split the wood when input the hooks in. Luckily before putting the hooks in I had the thought to think of how it was going to be hung up and was able to do that while the front was still able to lay flat. As the medals will more than likely start at one end and make it heavier than the other I knew I needed two fixings on the back for stability. I checked out my picture hanging stash and found the perfect pair of fixings.  I measured the width to find the centre and made markings for them equally between that point and the edge, I used my spirit level again, not to check if level but to make sure they were both straight!
With the fixings attached I could put all the hooks in and I was so pleased to see my vision had come to life. 
It looked so well made (if I do say so myself! ) I had to write a little paper tag as a finishing touch. 
The wrapping paper.
Of course this was hand made too. I'd searched Pinterest for inspiration and found nothing. The following day I had a light bulb moment, using Ethan's enormous roll of paper we wrote the word 'Daddy' all over a large piece in all different colours and directions using felt tips. The ocd part of me was not overjoyed with the large drawing of a castle but I had to go with it! 
I had also chosen two other gifts of books which also got the homemade paper treatment. We used the same method with love hearts and only coloured in the red ones and again for the last one with the words' i love you' (with a deliberate lowercase 'i' for extra cuteness which I was pulled up for by ethan who is almost 5!)


I was so excited for the gift giving moment and it all went down a treat.
It now takes pride of place at the bottom of stairs in the hallway.

I would love to know if you've created a similar project or even used the techniques for something completely different. Let me know!

Back soon
Georgie x