8 October 2015

Sweet treats: Millionaire Shortbread

Having recently closed my business I've rekindled my love of baking for my family.
Spurred on by the much loved Great British Bake Off I found my self looking for different ideas of things to bake aside from just cake! Don't get me wrong, I love me a bit of cake but lately buns, bars and slices have got me salivating!

So I settled on a childhood favourite, Millionaire Shortbread and I'm here to share the recipe with you.



Before you begin, preheat your oven to 180C (350F) or Gas Mark 4 and find an 8 inch square tin.
I like to line mine with baking paper so it's easier to remove at the end!




You will need:
Shortbread base
125g (4oz) Butter
50g (2oz) Caster sugar
175g (6oz) Plain flour

Caramel Filling
125g (4oz) Butter
50g (2oz) Caster sugar
2 Tbsp Golden syrup
150ml (5fl oz) Condensed milk

Chocolate Topping (If you like just a thin layer of chocolate then just use half the amounts)
250g (4oz) Plain chocolate
30g (1/2 oz) Butter

In a bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the flour and stir until the mixture binds together.
Knead until smooth. Roll out (ish) into a square and press evenly into your tin.
Prick well, all over with a fork. Don't be shy here!
Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in the tin.

Place the filling ingredients in a saucepan and stir until dissolved. I like to add a good glug or two more of the condensed milk, just because I like it.
Bring slowly to the boil, then cook, stirring, for 5 to 7 minutes.
Cool slightly, then spread over the biscuit and leave to set. (Tip - don't be tempted to lick the spatula, it's hotter than it looks!!)

For the topping, melt the chocolate. I like to use a bowl over a pan of simmering water to melt the chocolate and add slightly melted butter, usually from the microwave, to the melted chocolate and stir before pouring over the caramel.
Giving it a good tap on your worktop will help it to spread evenly.

Leave until set, in the fridge if you wish, before cutting into squares or fingers.

I got 16 yummy squares!

I'd love to see how yours turns out or if you have any questions let me know here or on Instagram @georgie_at_home


Back soon

Georgie x